HEALTHY DETOX VEGETABLE SOUP
Beets, cabbage, onions, parsley, kale and other greens, garlic turmeric, cinnamon, shiitake mushrooms, ginger, cooked tomatoes and squash all have great detoxifying and health benefits that we should all be taking in natural form as much as possible. Add water and you have an incredibly filling, great tasting and effective food to help your body get rid of excess toxins. This detox soup recipe contains all of those ingredients. The soup is cooked in 25-30 minutes in a pressure cooker which seals in all the nutrients as well as the flavour.
Prep time30 mins
cook time25 mins
total time55 mins
- 1 bunch organic beets with greens, washed
- 4 med. organic carrots, washed
- 3 small organic sweet potatoes, washed
- 2 med. organic parsnips, washed and peeled
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 med. onion, peeled
- 3 cloves organic garlic
- 3 ozs. organic shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 4 lg. organic kale leaves, washed
- 1 Tbsp. organic garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 c. organic cabbage, chopped
- 1 bunch organic parsley, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ozs.) organic diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 8 c. organic vegetable broth
- 1 c. filtered water
- ¼ c. pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- salt & pepper to taste
- - Remove beet greens from beets, chop both into bite size pieces and add to pressure cooker.
- - Chop remaining raw vegetables into bite size pieces and add to pressure cooker.
- - Add turmeric, cinnamon and vegetable broth. Fasten lid to cooker, by following directions of cooker.
- - Cook over medium high heat for 25-30 minutes. Cooker valve should close allowing pressure to build in cooker.
A steady release of excess pressure should be heard while cooking.
- - After 25 minutes, carefully release pressure until all pressure is gone and top is able to be opened.
- - Remove top, ladle into shallow bowls and serve.
- - Garnish with pumpkin seeds and season to taste minimally with salt and pepper.
This soup can be used as a main detox meal. You can also use it as a non-detox soup by adding chicken, or tofu.
Recipe and photography by Little Rusted Ladle; Jena and Jim Carlin